Inspecting residential central air conditioning systems
To maintain a heat pump that provides central heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, ventilating, and keeping it economical, certain procedures are required. The complete system should be inspected and serviced each season before it is used.
Services that the owner can perform include
- Energizing the crankcase heater 24 hours before starting system.
- Cleaning condenser and fans.
- Checking dampers in ducks.
- Replacing filters.
- Lubricating motor and fan bearings.
- Checking fan belt for cracks and glaze (replace if necessary).
- Checking and cleaning drain pans and drain pipe.
Services done by a service technician include
- Cleaning thermostat points.
- Checking system pressures.
- Checking voltage and full-load amperage.
- Checking refrigerant charge.
- Checking suction line sweating or frosting.